Let's Chat!

I'm here to report, listen & learn about the beauty of life!

Pages

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Size 0 to 12 and Never Looked Better - Crystal Renn for Hungry


My mind is racing just thinking about the book I finished this afternoon! I don't even know where to begin. The book is Hungry: A Young Model's Story of Appetite, Ambition, and the Ultimate Embrace of Curves by Crystal Renn. Crystal went from a size 0 to 12 and her career has only just begun.

I borrowed this book from the office and wish it was my own copy. I filled pages of my personal notebook with things I didn't want to forget. I wrote down page numbers to go back to and quotes I found truly inspiring. I don't have the space in one blog post to state all the personal notes I made.

Did you know that the average American is a size 12?! A size 12 - I thought we were made to believe size 12 was overweight? Crystal shares her story of being a model and now a plus-size model. What's the difference - I'll let the book explain. For now, understand that there is more to beauty and fashion than fitting into runway clothes. In fact, you will learn after reading this book that studies have been done to learn if women are more likely to buy clothing or beauty from a women closer to a size 10 - than let's say a size 4. You will be amazed at what you learn, trust me.

She has truly inspired me to think twice before I say I don't like the way I look. And I realize that there's a difference between wanting to be skinny and wanting to feel good in the body you have. Crystal talks about how difference in body types can be fabulous and diversity is important.

Crystal also touched on something my mom always preached - wear what you want but within your size. Nobody wants to feel like they can't breath in a pair of jeans straight out of the wash. Nobody wants to bring their arms to their chest and feel the seams rip across their back. Wear a size that flatters you. And everyones weight fluctuates - especially with age. So instead of staying in a size that doesn't fit and screams "look at me I had to lay on my bed and wrestle these pants to get them on" go up a size to look and feel great!

Crystal encourages women to stop postponing life due to their never ending struggle with body image. She reminds us that life is to0 short to hate yourself - so get out there and live it. Diets don't work - but health and body awareness do. And how many people actually have long term success from dieting? Trust me the numbers aren't that high!

One thing I have always reminded people - jewelry can completely change an outfit. If you're feeling frumpy one day play-up your jewelry and see if that helps!

Image above is from Amazon - it's the cover of Crystal's book I just finished. I encourage you to buy your own copy - I know you'll have things to bookmark too!

Happy Birthday to my Aunt Missy today - I love and miss you!

Post your image barriers here and forget about them - pursue a better you and live your life!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this review of the book. It sounds wonderful. I haven't read it yet. For one thing, I'm afraid it will make me mad. The fashion industry's obsession with tiny frames infuriates me. "She has truly inspired me to think twice before I say I don't like the way I look." Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! They do cover in the book how they are trying to get past the "tiny frames." I totally feel and understand what you're saying there! She is also in V Magazine the "Size Issue" you can Google and get more information. Let me know if you read it! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete