Let's Chat!

I'm here to report, listen & learn about the beauty of life!

Pages

Saturday, February 6, 2010

The "Beauty" in Giving

I was visiting with someone close to me the other day from back in Iowa. They had recently read an article that encouraged Americans to give three gifts to people at random before Valentine's Day. The catch - don't let that person know the gift was from you - let it remain anonymous. Personally, I love seeing the reaction on people's faces when they open a gift from me. There's something about seeing a smile stretch ear to ear when I've thought long and hard about what I wanted to give them. But maybe there's something more "beautiful" about giving when you can give and not worry about a thank you or "will they like what I bought?"

One of the most "beautiful" gifts I received in college was from a relative who re-gifted their own birthday money so I could buy groceries and a "little fun" for the next week. My goal this month is to pay-it-forward the same "beautiful"gift this relative gave me to someone I think who could use a little money for food and fun!

So before I turn the lights out tonight - I'm going to encourage all of you to find the "beauty" in giving. Maybe it's to a family or friend - or a donation to Haiti - size and amount doesn't matter it's the "beauty" behind giving that counts.

If the person who told me about this article remembers where they saw it I will post it on here for you to read. Share with me the most "beautiful" gift you've ever received? Or something "beautiful" you want to give!

2 comments:

  1. I sent two "care" packages to my valentines - it really is the beauty of giving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh so true Abby...I gave my student teacher a little birthday party and gift this week with some words of wisdom for her awesome job while in the classroom. SO appreciative!!!! her smile was worth it all.

    ReplyDelete