Let's Chat!

I'm here to report, listen & learn about the beauty of life!

Pages

Monday, May 24, 2010

Challenges Mean One Thing, Strength

This past week has been extremely stressful. I've spent hours searching for apartments, toured some that might have come straight out of a scene from a horror film and put my $75 "holding fee" on a couple of places. I put quotes around "holding fee" because I'm not quite sure I trust the whole situation. But, signing a lease in New York City is what I would imagine it's like buying a home, well, back home. I'm also wondering how the hell am I going to move on my own? I don't have a car, any family remotely close, no burly boyfriend to carry my bed, etc. I'll be sure to tell you when I sign my papers and post pictures of me dragging my bed across Wall St. Ha Ha

I'm also a little nervous about my baby sis. See, today she left for Austria. I'm super excited for her, maybe a little jealous and wish I would have done this in college too! I made sure to tell her plenty of times to be safe. I have sent her two emails already!! I forgot she can't call so I have to say thank goodness for Facebook. (I can't believe I'm thanking something that has become my No. 1 procrastination device!) I made sure to ask her what she included in her "beauty bag." Be sure to check back and I'll keep you posted. Let's see if she took the advice her big sis gave her, pack a few key items and you'll be set. And as I was going through some of my favorite items in the LancĂ´me beauty closet one day, I noticed that several items are small enough to be a carry-on item!

I guess after writing this post it has me coming back to the "beauty" of one thing, friendship. And the strength friendship provides. Reason one, my old roommate Em called after work. Even though I was two weeks late in getting her gift in the mail, she absolutely loved it. I made her a necklace and earrings to go with a dress we both bought. I was in New York and she was in Iowa, neither of us had a clue. Reason two, my friend Jen has listened to me bitch and whine, debate and cry over what's my next step. And she's still answering my calls. Reason three, my mom and her group of friends like to spoil their children in nurturing ways. They gather monthly to make homemade cards. She sent one a little while ago that I read every morning before I leave for work. It says...

"Every experience God gives us, every person he brings into our lives, is the perfect preparation for the future that only He can see." -Carrie tenBoom, Holocoust Survivor

Reason four, my mom (and our family) has a dear friend who is struggling with a parent in hospice. I was on the phone with my dad tonight sharing a few times I remember being around her. She is a great lady and I can't imagine what my mom's friend is feeling at the moment. Mom and another friend from the great "mother's group" went to visit their friends mom tonight. Before they left they reminded the mother they'd take care of her daughter. I guess it's true what they say, the beauty of a few great friends is more than words can explain.

So, I know it's only Monday. Some of us might have already experienced a long week. But try to remember that things could be worse. And maybe try reaching out to an old friend. Friendship is beauty, embrace it.

P.S. To all my girlfriends who remember our middle school years, I was in the supermarket last night and "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" came on. I don't think I need to say anymore.

Sweet dreams from NYC.


2 comments:

  1. Abby, you have learned the most important thing in life - the beauty of family and friendships!

    When our friend was dealing with her mothers illness she said, putting on a little juicy tube lip gloss always made her feel better! :) That is beauty inside and out--

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Abby,
    Your Mom, Amy and Diane came out last night...aka...MnMs and I can't tell you how it lifted me. We laughed, cried and reminisced about Mom...well it was mostly me blabbing but it felt so good to smile and laugh! As your Mom said....after being in the hospital for a week with Mom, the only thing that made me feel "pretty" was putting on the Juicy Tube that your Mom gave me. There was no use putting on make up...every
    time I cried it just ran and messed me up. I would have to say I have the BEST friends in the world and they were there for me when I needed them most.

    ReplyDelete